Confirmation practices have varied throughout church history. Yet whether confirmation is experienced independently as a teenager or adult, or in conjunction with baptism and Eucharist at the Easter Vigil, it affects us the same. Confirmation is the sacrament that confers on the believer the Holy Spirit, the Advocate promised by Jesus. As such, confirmation is best seen not as a requirement for membership in the church but as an opportunity for continued growth and conversion in Christ. As we mature in faith, we recognize our gifts within the Body of Christ and renew our commitment to follow Jesus.
8 Things You Need To Know About Confirmation
- Confirmation is the Completion of Baptism.
- Wow never thought of it that way!
- Confirmation Increases the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, Fear of the Lord (not that fear)
- A Mission from God: Operation Confirmation
- Now go and baptize all nations!
- Chrism is Much More Than a Sweet-Smelling Oil
- It's the same oil used in your baptism and you are being prepared for spiritual battle.
- Why My Forehead?
- Your face is the first thing people see when they talk to you.
- What’s in a Name?
- You're going to need help, what better than saint in heaven!
- Confirmation is Ancient
- It's been going on for 2000 years.
- You Aren’t Alone
- When you select a sponsor that person will pray for you daily.